Chicken guisado. Pollo guisado is a delicious chicken dish with meat that practically falls off the bone. Both children and adults love it, so it makes a great family meal. As an added bonus, it doesn't call for a lot of ingredients, so it's doable on a busy weeknight.
Serve with plain white rice or add noodles to make as a soup. Stir chicken, coating each piece with sugar-oil mixture. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first four ingredients. You can have Chicken guisado using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken guisado
- It’s 4 of chicken quarters cleaned and parted.
- It’s 1 of onion.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 1 of diced pepper of choice we use poblano and red jalepenos.
- Prepare 1/8 cup of diced celery-optional-often I don't have any.
- You need 1 can of petite diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1/2 can of small red enchilada sauce.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of chicken consomme.
- It’s pinch of oregano.
- It’s pinch of annatto.
- Prepare to taste of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 4 of potatoes diced—- sometimes we use chayote, zucchini, carrots, any veggie of choice or what you have on hand locally and seasonally.
Add the chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil. Stir in the potatoes, water and tomato sauce. Dominican Braised Chicken or Pollo Guisado is a simple and easy meat dish that is filled with flavor and is one of the most popular dishes in Dominican cooking.
Chicken guisado step by step
- Brown the cleaned chicken pieces in a large pan until it is golden. I used non stick so it didn't need any oil..
- Add in the vegetables & seasoning to saute around the chicken..
- Add the Tomatoes and enchilada sauce. Cover and simmer until the Chicken is almost tender.
- Add the potatoes and recheck the season let finish simmering until the potatoes are done..
- We serve this over our favorite rice of the day. & on this day I was nice to the kids and cooked the summer squash apart using a couple ladles full of the guiso=stew sauce..
If you are Dominican, whether in the island or abroad, you have been fed pollo guisado practically your entire life. Chicken gains major flavor from sazon, sofrito, and other seasonings in this easy pollo guisado, or chicken stew, recipe that is great for entertaining. Pollo Guisado – Recipe & Video (Braised Chicken): one of the most popular dishes in Dominican cuisine. If chicken slow-cooked in salsa verde is a guisado, so is chicken that's simply slow-cooked in broth. The universality of the concept is built into the word.