Harvest Sausage Shepherd's Pie. This flavorful variation on traditional shepherd's pie uses mashed butternut squash in place of potatoes. All Reviews for Squash and Sausage Shepherd's Pie. This easy recipe combines sausage, mashed potatoes, veggies and gravy to make a delicious dinner.
I made mashed potatoes instead of using boxed and we used jimmy dean sausage instead of the Owens. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. You can cook Harvest Sausage Shepherd's Pie using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Harvest Sausage Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 4 of mild sausage links, casing removed.
- It’s 2 of celery, diced.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 of carrots, diced.
- You need 1/2 of granny Smith apple, skinned and diced.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, diced.
- It’s 1.5 cups of diced butternut squash.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper,.
- It’s to taste of Dried basil,.
- You need to taste of Dried thyme,.
- Prepare 3-4 cups of mashed potatoes (prepared in advance or packaged).
- It’s 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
In England (and Australia and New. Shepherd's Pie is really not much more than a baked meat and vegetable casserole topped with potatoes, often using leftovers. It's a little like a beef pot pie made with ground beef instead of roast meat. To the best of my knowledge, Shepherd's Pie in the U.
Harvest Sausage Shepherd's Pie step by step
- In a large pan, brown sausage meat.once browned add onions and garlic..
- Once onion is translucent, add all the veggies (including apple)and seasonings and stir and cook for 6-8 min..
- Transfer everything to baking dish or oven safe dish, top with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese..
- Bake in 350°F oven for 35 min and until top is bubbly and browned around the edges..
- **note: I topped mine with rustic mashed roasted sweet potato instead since hubby isn't CRAZY about sweet potato. Mine was DELISH and he said the regular mashed was delish (and my 2 year old loved it as well) the apples were a delish sweet bite..
The Sausage Shepherd's Pie recipe out of our category Root Vegetable! All Reviews for Squash and Sausage Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's pie, the British casserole of minced meat and vegetables topped with buttery mashed potatoes, delivers perfection in every bite. This version features extra-rich and creamy mashed potatoes and a hearty, carrot- and pea-studded meat sauce. Progresso™ beef-flavored broth provides a simple addition to this classic and hearty casserole – Shepherd's pie baked using beef, sausage and mixed vegetables.