Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo. Pour browned flour into a bowl and return pot to heat. Pour the chicken stock and reserved shrimp stock in and stir till the paste (roux) is combined. Put the sausage, the rest of the creole seasoning,and the cayenne in and raise the heat to bring to a soft boil.
Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove. Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then remove. You can cook Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
- You need 1/2 cup of butter (divided).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of small shrimp uncooked, peeled and divided.
- Prepare 2 cup of Cooked chicken breast (shredded) or can shred it yourself.
- You need 1 cup of chopped celery.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of chopped onions.
- It’s 6 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 2 cup of frozen sliced okra.
- It’s 4 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 4 cup of Chicken stock.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/3 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 lb of Smoked Sausage (sliced).
- It’s 1 of salt and pepper to taste (optional).
In a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan combine melted. I enjoyed reading your recipe for chicken, sausage, and shrimp gumbo. My Grandmother, who was born and raised in Welsh, Louisiana, taught me a similar recipe. I also throw a little crab in mine occasionally-that way everybody gets what they want. lol.
Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo instructions
- In a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat.
- Once butter is melted add bell pepper, onions, celery and cook till onions are soft. Then add garlic the last minute.
- Add chicken stock, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire, parsley, okra, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer.
- On different skillet, Brown your sliced sausage. Once it's done, remove from pan with slotted spoon and add to chicken stock mixture.
- Discard sausage drippings from skillet/pan then melt 6 tablespoon of butter, once melted add 6 tablespoons of flour and mix till it's incorporated. Cook for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally. Careful not to burn the mixture but the dark it is the more flavorful it's gonna be.
- Add the mixture to the chicken stock and bring to boil stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add chicken and simmer..
- At this point, gumbo is ready to eat but for mire flavor, let it continue simmering for 1-2 hours. Add shrimp last 5 minutes and serve..
- Serve with a scoop of rice or over rice.
This Sausage, Chicken, and Shrimp Gumbo is a traditional version of the famous Southern dish. Although gumbo comes in all shapes and forms, there are usually a few common factors that identify a gumbo as a gumbo. Just like its Cajun sisters, jambalaya and étouffée, gumbo usually starts off with a base of chopped onion, green bell peppers, and. Add the reserved shrimp shells and chicken wings, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring. Sausage and shrimp gumbo is a nice twist on the classic Cajun stew traditionally served over rice and is perfect for cold evening meals.