Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam. Semur is an Indonesian cuisine from the Javanese that tend to have sweeter tooth than the rest of Indonesia. The key ingredient of this recipe is sweet soy sauce and nutmeg. Semur ayam is a part of Indonesian cuisine.
Perhaps do you know nasi goreng? Semur Ayam (Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Sweet Soy Sauce) is a type of meat stew that originated from Java. Javanese people tend to like sweet dishes and hence, the sweet soy sauce used in this dish. You can cook Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam using 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam
- You need 1 of chicken marinate with 1 tsp salt and 1 TB soy sauce.
- It’s 500 g of potato.
- You need 1 of medium red onion.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 2 TB of sweet dark soy sauce.
- You need 1.5 L of Water.
- You need 1 of tomato.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
Semur Ayam was then adopted in other areas in Indonesia. Semur ayam is a chicken and potato dish stewed in spices, nutmeg, and kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). The taste is very bold, the chicken and potatoes tender and succulent, and you will want to mop up all the sauce with a big bowl of steamed white rice. Semur is an Indonesian type of meat stew (mainly beef), that is braised in thick brown gravy commonly found in Indonesian cuisine.
Indonesian Style Chicken Stew/ Semur Ayam step by step
- Clean the chicken well and marinate with salt and soy sauce.
- Mix well and let it sit for a while.
- Fry garlic and red onion.
- Add in the chicken and Sweet dark Soy sauce and fry until no longer pink.
- Add water, bring it to a boil.
- Then cover and simmer on low heat for 30 mins.
- Add tomato and nutmeg powder and cover again for another 15 mins.
- Then add potato and salt, cover and simmer again for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Now it's ready to be served, goes very well with steamed rice.
The main ingredient used in semur gravy is sweet soy sauce, shallots, onions, garlic, ginger, candlenut, nutmeg and cloves, sometimes pepper, coriander, cumin and cinnamon might be added. Sweet soy sauce is the most important ingredient in the Semur-making process. Semur Ayam (Chicken Stew in Sweet Soy Sauce) Semur / se-mur / is an Indonesian dish made from boiled meat or chicken in thick brown gravy which made from sweet soy sauce. The word 'semur' itself derives from the Dutch word 'smoor' meaning 'smothered' or it could also mean the technique of cooking by boiling for a long time using a. Make shallow diagonal slashes in the chicken pieces; then rub chicken with salt, pepper, coriander & lime juice.