Shepherd's Pie (my version). A lickety-split version of that ever-popular standby, shepherd's pie. Seasoned ground beef and onions are sauteed, layered in a casserole with potatoes, topped with condensed cream of mushroom soup, sprinkled with cheese and baked. Drain and mash using milk and sour cream then set aside.
In order to make a true shepherd's pie, you need to use lamb meat. However, we always called it shepherd's pie even though I didn't make the dish with ground beef. My original recipe always included corn, peas, and carrots in the meat mixture. You can cook Shepherd's Pie (my version) using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie (my version)
- It’s 6 of russet potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters.
- You need 1 of ground meat ( i used ground chicken breast), seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, fresh garlic and dill.
- You need 1 of small onion, diced.
- It’s 1 of cup of corn, frozen or fresh (was what i had, but you can add any veggies you like).
- It’s 1/3 of cup of crumbled cooked bacon.
- Prepare 2 of cups italian blend cheese, divided.
- You need 2 of tbsp. margarine.
- Prepare 1 of milk to mash the potatoes.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, mashed.
And a lot of times, I. Shepherds pie is such a wonderful, hearty comfort food. I make it with lentils and mushrooms for my version and ground beef for my guy's. But it's a lot of work to make everything from scratch … love the idea of using frozen mashed potatoes if I'm running short on time! "A delicious version of Shepherd's Pie.
Shepherd's Pie (my version) step by step
- Cook potatoes in a boiler with salted water. Let cook until tender. Drain. Keep the lid on so they stay hot, it will be easier to mash..
- Meanwhile start cooking the meat. Add the onions, bacon, garlic and corn when meat is almost done..
- Add milk, margarine and garlic cloves to the potatoes. Start mashing, add 1 cup of the cheese. The potatoes should be soft and creamy..
- In a pan (i used an 8×8) sprayed with canola oil put half of the mashed potatoes, then add the meat then the rest of potatoes. Top with the other cup of cheese. Put on oven at 400F, for 20 minutes or cheese is golden brown..
I added mushrooms and substituted peas for the corn because its what I had on hand. We loved it!"-Needles. recipe Kittencal's Cheesy Shepherd's Pie "I make this a few times a year. I'm delighted to have found a new favorite. This is true comfort food at its best." A true shepherd's pie is made with lamb while a cottage pie is made with beef. In the US, I notice that it is often called a shepherd's pie when it really is just a cottage pie.