Shepherd's Pie. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to.
The "traditional" Shepherds Pie was made with minced lamb because that was abundantly available, England didn't have lots of cows but there were plenty of sheep. My mom was British, I was born and lived in England, but when we moved to America even my mom made it with beef and still called it Shepherds pie. Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 17 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 1 tbsp of reduced calorie margarine.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- You need 1 tsp of reduced sodium soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 cup of cubed, cooked chicken breast.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, sliced and blanched.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped, cleaned spinach leaves.
- It’s 6 of chopped scallions.
- It’s 1/2 cup of thawed frozen corn kernels.
- It’s 1/2 cup of evaporated skimmed milk.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme leaves, crumbled.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground marjoram.
- You need 3 of medium russet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and mashed.
- You need 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of paprika.
- You need 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1/4 cup of water.
When you dig in you get a spoonful of mashed potatoes, some crispy bits, meat, and vegetables all in one bite. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd's pie is most often made with a ground-lamb filling.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, melt the margarine. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth, soy sauce and 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400°F; spray a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray..
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken and the remaining tablespoon of flour. Stir in the carrots, spinach, scallions, corn, milk, thyme, marjoram and the sauce. Transfer to the casserole dish. Top with potatoes, spreading to cover the filling completely; sprinkle with the cheese and paprika. Bake until bubbling and the potatoes are golden, 30-35 minutes..
In the States, people use ground beef, which is what we call for here. This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas Shepherd's Pie When you're in the mood for a meaty, savory comfort-food classic, serve Alton Brown's Shepherd's Pie from Good Eats on Food Network. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until.