Chicken Pot Pie. Chicken Pot Pie a la Jeremy and Jasmin "Very good comfort food! I used fresh carrots and sauteed them with the onion, and used frozen corn instead of canned." – Clara. With homemade gravy and a few shortcuts, you get big pot pie flavor.
In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Remove from heat, drain and set aside. Chicken pot pie is truly an heirloom recipe—cooks have been making it for centuries. You can cook Chicken Pot Pie using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Pot Pie
- It’s 1 lb of chicken breast, cubed.
- It’s 1 cup of sliced carrots (frozen).
- It’s 1 cup of peas (frozen).
- You need 1/2 cup of sliced celery.
- You need 1/3 cup of sweet onion, chopped.
- You need 1/2 cup of flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of celery seed.
- It’s 1 3/4 cup of chicken broth.
- It’s 1 of egg, beaten (optional).
- It’s 1/3 cup of butter.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of cream.
- It’s 2 (9 inch) of unbaked pie crusts.
This chicken pot pie recipe is also known as "Mrs. Hering's Chicken Pot Pie" in the Marshall Field's Cookbook, from the famed Chicago Marshall Fields department store. Dice up an onion, along with some carrots and celery, then throw them into a pot with a little butter over medium heat. Just pull some frozen mixed vegetables from the freezer and a can.
Chicken Pot Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 425..
- In saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside..
- In small bowl mix flour, salt, pepper and celery seed..
- In the saucepan over meadium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour mixture. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Take your time mixing until it is well blended, thick and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside..
- Combine chicken and sauce..
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with PAM. Put bottom portion of pie crust in pie plate and cut away excess dough. Pour in chicken mixture. Cover with top crust, cut away excess dough leaving about an inch of overhang to tuck under bottom pie crust and seal edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Optional: beat an egg and baste the top lightly..
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 15-20 minutes before serving..
Soften pie crust as directed on package. This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor. It's got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables, and a mix of dried and fresh herbs. I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. Chicken Pot Pie Your Family will Love.