Semolina dough grains with chicken – moghrabieh. See great recipes for Semolina dough grains with chicken – moghrabieh too! They are cooked with chicken broth and served with chicken pieces on top. Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura.
Moghrabieh literally translates to "from Morocco." Not to confuse you, but Moghrabieh is both the name of the dough pearls as well as the name of the final dish. Moghrabieh is also commonly referred to as giant or pearl couscous. It's made by drizzling salted water onto coarsely ground semolina wheat to form tiny balls of dough. You can have Semolina dough grains with chicken – moghrabieh using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Semolina dough grains with chicken – moghrabieh
- Prepare 1 kg of moghrabieh, fresh, frozen or dried.
- You need 4 of skinless chicken thighs.
- It’s 2 of skinless chicken breasts.
- You need 2 cups of canned chickpeas.
- Prepare 500 g of small onions, peeled.
- Prepare 7 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of caraway.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of cumin.
- It’s 3 of bay leaves.
- You need 2 of cinnamon sticks.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
They're a great addition to soups and stews, and make a womderful accompaniment to chicken or lamb tagines. Put chicken into the pan skin side down and add shallots. Turn chicken and add garlic cloves. Meaning "dish of the Maghreb," moghrabieh refers to both the finished dish and the grain with which it is made.
Semolina dough grains with chicken – moghrabieh step by step
- In a deep pan, fry the chicken thighs and breasts with 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil for 2 min. Add 1½ liters water, one whole onion, the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, caraway, cinnamon powder, cumin, some pepper and salt..
- Cover and cook until chicken is well done. Remove chicken pieces and set aside. Strain the chicken broth and reserve..
- In a deep pot, fry the moghrabieh with 3 tablespoons of olive oil until golden. Sprinkle with some caraway, cinnamon and salt..
- Boil 1 liter of water then add it to the moghrabieh and let it cook for 10 min only. Remove from heat, drain the half-cooked moghrabieh from its water and set it aside..
- Fry the whole onions in a cooking pot with the 4 tablespoons of oil until they turn golden..
- Add in the moghrabieh, chickpeas and enough chicken broth to cover the ingredients. Place pot on high heat and let it simmer with the lid on until most of the broth has been absorbed by the moghrabieh. Make sure not to totally dry the moghrabieh. Remove from heat and add more seasoning if needed..
- To serve, place the moghrabieh in a serving dish and arrange the chicken pieces on top. Pour the rest of the chicken broth in a bowl and add to your dish according to taste..
Lebanese couscous is larger than traditional couscous, and made of semolina flour rolled into pearl-sized balls. It is commonly made with a rich chicken and onion stock, and served with pieces of cooked chicken, onions and chickpeas. Moghrabieh refers to both the grains and the finished dish. This dish involves two main steps: The first is to cook the chicken (or meat) and the onions and obtain a good bouillon which will be used to cook the moghrabieh grains. The second is to cook the moghrabieh grains in the bouillon.