Moo Goo Gai Pan. Take moo goo gai pan, for example. It's actually a lot simpler than its name might suggest: It's typically just sliced or cubed chicken ( gai pin in Cantonese) with button mushrooms ( mohgu in Cantonese) and a variety of other vegetables, usually including bamboo shoots, snow peas, water chestnuts, and Chinese cabbage. Moo goo gai pan (Chinese: 蘑菇雞片; Cantonese: móh-gū gāi-pin) is the Americanized version of a Cantonese dish, usually a simple stir-fried dish consisting of sliced or cubed chicken with white button mushrooms and other vegetables.
This involves coating the chicken (or any other meat or seafood) in a batter of beaten egg and cornstarch. Moo goo gai pan is essentially chicken with mushrooms, along with some other veggies that seem to vary depending on who is preparing it. When I order a chicken based dish at a Chinese restaurant, the meat is always very thinly sliced and super tender, but I could never figure out how to replicate that at home. You can cook Moo Goo Gai Pan using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Moo Goo Gai Pan
- It’s 2 of chicken breasts.
- It’s 1/2 pk of frozen broccoli.
- Prepare 1/2 of onion sliced.
- It’s 5 oz. of Fresh mushrooms sliced.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of stick butter.
- It’s 3 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
- You need 1/2 tsp of parsley.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1/8 cup of lemon juice.
- Prepare of Salt & pepper.
- You need of Water chestnuts (optional) can be added in step 3.
Moo Goo Gai Pan is a classic Chinese dish with tender chicken pieces and mushrooms then add in crisp vegetables such as carrots, water chestnuts, snow peas all stir fried together with a special white sauce poured over top and simmered all together. I am all about skipping the take out and making Chinese food at home. Stir in the mushrooms, snow peas, water chestnuts, and bok choy; season to taste with salt and pepper. When oil is hot add ginger and garlic.
Moo Goo Gai Pan instructions
- Prepare chicken breast. Cut each breast in half lengthwise, then cut each into strips. Season with lemon juice and salt & pepper..
- Heat olive oil at medium heat in large skillet. Add chicken breast. Cook for 8min while turning. When done take out and set aside..
- In same skillet add the butter, when melted add flour while stirring to make a rue, then immediately add chicken broth. Stir until it starts to thicken. Add mushrooms, onions, broccoli and simmer for 3min, then add chicken. Add ginger, parsley, salt & pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 15min. Covered on low heat. Then serve and enjoy! Pairs well with homemade pork fried rice..
Combine chicken stock and corn starch. A popular restaurant dish, this recipe for moo goo gai pan means "fresh mushrooms with sliced chicken" in Cantonese. The original dish, known as mah gu gai pin, was adapted for Western tastes. Traditionally made with whole button mushrooms, other types of mushrooms can be substituted and, while some versions include bamboo shoots, water. A Chinese Restaurant favorite of mine, Moo Goo Gai Pan, which takes its name from a province in northern China.