Chicken Ala King Pie. Though its name may sound regal on first read, Chicken à la King is as creamy and comforting as it comes. This hearty classic is practically a crustless chicken pot pie. Some might even call it a chicken gravy.
Pour over chicken mixture in casserole. Nutritional Information Per Serving Easy and elegant chicken dish. It's a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey. You can cook Chicken Ala King Pie using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Ala King Pie
- It’s 1 cup of shredded cooked chicken breast.
- It’s 1 of whole onion finely chopped.
- It’s 1 pack of frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn and green peas).
- Prepare 1 block of shredded quick melt cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose cream.
- You need 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.
- It’s 1 of large egg beaten.
Green pepper and red pimientos make this a pretty dish to serve at Christmas or anytime. Serve over cooked rice, toast, or noodles. Can be made ahead and reheated. Chicken a la King is one of those dishes that everyone always likes and it's a solution when you don't have time to cook.
Chicken Ala King Pie instructions
- Sauté chopped onion in butter then add shredded chicken breast..
- Add frozen vegetables and sauté for another 2 minutes..
- Mix all purpose flour and all purpose cream and add to mixture. (You can replace cream with chicken stock if you don’t want it too creamy).
- Add cheese and turn off the heat when the cheese melts..
- Flatten the mixture in a butter greased baking dish..
- Top the dish with the mashed potato completely covering the top..
- Brush the mashed potato with egg wash and bake under 250 degrees for 10 to 15 mins or until the mashed potato turns golden brown..
If you live alone and you're planning on making this recipe for yourself, I assure you this recipe will bail you out more than once so you can eat homemade in no time. Potpies are convenient because you can prepare and freeze then until you're ready to bake them. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Then, add the chicken broth one big splash at a time, stirring until. Chicken à la King has an unclear origin, but some very clear requirements and this recipe meets them all, including: chicken (of course), creamy sauce, pimientos and cooked vegetables.