Super Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Easy Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe I have visited New Orleans many times and Gumbo is hands-down my favorite dish. This is everything a gourmet soup should be, and then some! Looking forward to warming up with this on a cold night this week!
Super Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. The other day I was hunting around the web for a simple gumbo recipe that would round out my list of "best soups for dinner." I had a hard time finding a recipe that I. Super Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo C'est bon! littlemrsbell Ball, Louisiana. You can have Super Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Super Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Prepare 1 cup of flour.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of oil.
- You need 2 cup of chopped onion.
- It’s 2 cup of chopped bell pepper.
- It’s 2 clove of chopped garlic.
- You need 2 lb of smoked sausage.
- You need 2 lb of boneless chicken breasts.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a super flavorful stew served over our okra rice pilaf. This tasty chicken sausage gumbo recipe is filled with onions, celery, bell peppers, chicken, sausage, and the perfect Cajun seasonings. The okra pilau adds in that traditional okra flavor and finishes off the chicken gumbo beautifully!
Super Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo step by step
- Make roux. Combine flour and oil in large soup pot and cook over a medium fire till it turns a dark chocolate brown. You can cook it on high if you want, but be careful not to burn it!.
- Once you've made your roux, add in your onion, bell pepper, and garlic. This stops the roux from cooking anymore. Stir roux and veggies until the onions are translucent and soft..
- Cut up the sausage and chicken into small pieces and add to pot..
- Add about 4 quarts of water. Stir until the roux is completely dissolved..
- Bring to boil and allow gumbo to cook for at least 30-45 minutes before you add any seasoning. Then you can add salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning to taste. I use salt, pepper, Tony's, and Tabasco..
- Turn down burner to medium and allow gumbo to cook for at least 2 hours or more if you want..
- Sometimes I like to add shrimp to my gumbo. If you decide to do this, add it at least 30 minutes before it's finished cooking. Any longer and the shrimp will be too soft and overcooked..
Remove sausage with a slotted spoon. The next thing that makes gumbo super easy, if you have some quality chicken stock, is using a rotisserie chicken. You can just debone that thing and add some really great chicken stock. I find that if you use the silly Swanson boxed broth, it makes for a sad gumbo. There is a distinct lack of flavor.