Simple Classic Chicken Pot Pie. One of our most popular and top-rated recipes of all time, this classic chicken pot pie recipe has a flaky, buttery crust, a creamy sauce and a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables. Plus, it's super easy to make, which makes it a great recipe for beginner cooks and busy families alike. If using whole rotisserie chickens, separate meat from skin and bones, and tear into bite-size pieces.
We love cooking up classic comfort food in this house, and this week we're cooking Chicken Parmesan , Slow Cooker Pot Roast , and Oven Baked Pork Chops. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. You can have Simple Classic Chicken Pot Pie using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Simple Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- Prepare 1 1/2 lb of uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast – 3/4" cubed.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of 1/2" diced potato.
- You need 1 cup of 1/4" sliced carrots.
- You need 1 cup of frozen peas.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of + 2 tsp unsalted butter.
- You need 1/3 cup of chopped yellow onion.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of sea salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of celery seed.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of unsalted chicken broth.
- You need 2/3 cup of milk (I use 1%).
- It’s 2 of refrigerated pie crusts (9in).
With homemade gravy and a few shortcuts, you get big pot pie flavor. So warm and savory, a pot pie is the perfect cold weather comfort food. Chicken Pot Pie II "I had never made chicken pot pie before. Most Made Today My go to chicken pot pie recipe!
Simple Classic Chicken Pot Pie step by step
- In a medium sauce pan combine raw cubed chicken, carrots, peas and potatoes. Add just enough water to cover And a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are just fork tender. When done drain in colander and set aside..
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a square 2 quart casserole dish all over with 2 tsp butter. Unroll one pie crust and press into dish, forming and pressing from center out to fit and stretch up sides of dish, almost to top edge. If you get any tears just pinch 'em back together. Set aside..
- In same sauce pan used for chicken mix, melt butter over medium heat. When melted add onions and cook until translucent, Stirring frequently. About 3 minutes. Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, celery seed and thyme to make a roux. Cook until roux is golden, whisking frequently. About 2 minutes more..
- Slowly add chicken broth and milk, whisking constantly to prevent clumping and sticking to bottom. Bring to a simmer until thickened, stirring constantly. About 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Gently fold chicken and veg mixture into sauce..
- Pour filling into bottom pie crust, spreading out evenly. Unroll and add top crust, pinching to seal edges (use the tines of a fork for best seal). Cut a few slits for steam vents in top. Pop it in the oven and bake 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown..
- When done remove from oven, spread an additional tablespoon of butter over top to melt into crust if desired. Allow to cool 10 minutes, dish up and enjoy!.
If you are having problems with the flavor being bland, I suggest preparing the chicken first then use the same pot to make the filling, so that you can scrape up the delicious stuck on bits. When you use a rotisserie chicken or left overs, you miss out on so many flavors. Always a winning recipe whenever I. In a bowl combine the mixed vegetables, chicken, cream of chicken soup and milk. Pour mixture into one of the pie crusts.