Malay Fish Curry. To serve: Pour some curry sauce into a bowl, arrange fish and prawns on top, drizzle some more sauce over the top of the fish, sprinkle with coconut and lime leaves. Season the fish with salt and pepper and cut into large bite-size pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or wide saucepan over high heat.
Bangsar Fish Head Corner has opened an outlet at Jalan Dang Wangi in KL. – Picture courtesy from Bangsar Fish Head Corner. Whereas Nyonya Fish Head Curry is from the Malaysian Chinese community who had adopted the Malay culture. In this version, typical Nyonya herbs like daun kesum or laksa leaves (Vietnamese coriander) and bunga kantan (torch ginger flower) are used to create a spice paste. You can have Malay Fish Curry using 23 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Malay Fish Curry
- It’s of Halba Campur (Thalippu Spice Blend) recipe;.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Mustard Seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Fenugreek.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Fennel Seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- It’s 1 tsp of Black Gram (Ulunthu).
- You need of Main Ingredients;.
- It’s 130 g of Sea bass fillet (mackerel is good too).
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of Curry Powder (see Malay Chicken Curry).
- You need 1 Tbsp of Halba Campur.
- Prepare 20 g of Shallots (finely chopped).
- You need 10 g of Garlic (finely chopped).
- It’s 20 g of Ginger (finely chopped).
- You need 6 of curry leaves.
- It’s 100 g of Potatoes (slice).
- Prepare 100 g of Tomatoes (diced).
- Prepare 2 pc of Tamarind slices.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Coconut milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Water.
- You need 2 tsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Salt.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
- Prepare 1 Stalk of Spring Onion (for Garnish).
Nyonya fish head curry uses herbs like laksa leaves and torch ginger flower Ingredients to Prepare Malaysian Assam Fish Curry. What fish can you use to prepare assam fish curry. The fish that we most commonly use to prepare assam fish curry is Spanish mackerel. Curry fish is one of the popular dishes in Malaysia and Singapore, curry fish in these countries are an improvised version from the origin country India in order to suit the local taste.
Malay Fish Curry instructions
- In a wok heat cooking oil on high heat. Fry the Halba Campur spice blend until fragrant. Then add the shallots, garlic and ginger and fry these until fragrant. Then add the curry powder and mix well until that is fragrant..
- Next add the tomatoes and potatoes and fry for 1 minute. After that, add 1/2 cup of water and cover with a lid. Let it stew for 5 minutes while stirring every 1 minute..
- Next turn down the heat to low heat. Add in the coconut milk, tamarind slices, curry leaves, sugar, salt and then mix well. Add in the fish and cover with lid for 5 minutes. Serve on a plate and garnish with spring onions..
- COMMENTARY; Black Gram that you use for this is the processed one and it is white in color. The Malay name for it is Halba Putih (White Fenugreek) which is wrong. You can substitute Black Gram with Nigella Seeds (Black Carraway) and this spice blend recipe is called Panch Phoron that is used in Northeast India (Bengal, Nepal).
You can simply prepare a pot of curry to go with white rice and call it a meal for the day. Recommend to add an extra vegetable for better tasting. Fish curry powder is preferred when making fish curry. It has less spices as compared to meat curry powder with fenugreek as an essential spice in the mix. The result is a sharper and brighter taste more suited for fish than chicken or beef curries.