Shrimp and Grits. Shrimp and Grits is a classic Southern dish that's quick enough for a simple weeknight meal. You can even cook the grits hands-off while you prepare the shrimp. This recipe for shrimp and grits starts with a clever tip for In an ideal world, we'd all be getting fresh coastal shrimp for our shrimp and grits — but we'll settle for frozen shrimp with the shell on.
Shrimp and grits is a Southern dish everyone—regardless of where you're from—should know how to make. The shrimp cooks in bacon fat. Shrimp and grits is one of those iconic Southern dishes that stir something deep inside those who grew up with them. You can have Shrimp and Grits using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shrimp and Grits
- It’s 1 lb of Shrimp.
- It’s 2 cup of grits.
- Prepare 1 bunch of Scallions.
- You need 1 large of Shallot.
- You need 2 clove of Garlic.
- You need 4 large of Whole Baby Bell Mushrooms.
- You need 1 medium of Sweet Red Pepper.
- It’s 1/3 tsp of All Purpose Seasoning.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Kosher Salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Fresh Cracked Pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of Salted Butter.
- You need 1 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Originally from the oceanic South—Georgia, the Low Country coast of the. Serve shrimp mixture over cheese grits. Shrimp and Grits – a dish that has been nagging me for years to try it. Last week, while in Memphis, I finally tried it and fell in lust.
Shrimp and Grits instructions
- Peel and clean shrimp (placing shells in 2 quart sauce pan of water).
- Place cleaned shrimp in bowl of cold water..
- Heat water with shrimp shells adding salt and all purpose seasoning to the water..
- Take four of the scallion stalks and cut into 1/4" pieces..
- Dice red pepper and place in bowl with previously sliced items..
- Slice two more scallions on an angle making 1/2" tubes like penne pasta. Set aside..
- When water comes to boil and shrimp shells are pink, pour the liquid through strainer into large heat resistant bowl. Then return strained liquid to the sauce pan and stir in grits. Return to medium heat and stir occasionally, keeping the grits smooth in consistency. Turn heat to low and cover the pot with lid..
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, melt butter. As the butter melts, toss the sliced and diced vegetables in seasonings with the olive oil..
- While the butter melts, liberally sprinkle Kosher salt and cracked pepper over cleaned, drained shrimp..
- Once butter has melted in skillet, stir in vegetables. Keep them moving in pan so they are evenly heated. When vegetables begin to wilt, add shrimp to pan and continue to stir, until all the shrimp have curled and have turned pink..
- Now toss the remaining scallions into shrimp and vegetable mixture. turn off the heat and cover. Let sit for 5 mins..
- In a dinner bowl or large plate, pour in serving of grits, then scoop shrimp and vegetables on top..
Shrimp and Grits Recipe – Here's a treat for everyone, Shrimp and Grits with Bacon and Cheese! So if you're looking for a Southern Style. Bobby Flay takes Southern-style Shrimp and Grits to the next level by adding sharp cheddar, bacon and lime juice in this easy recipe from Food Network. Once a popular morning meal throughout the South, shrimp and grits is no longer restricted to breakfast tables below the Mason-Dixon line. My Shrimp and Grits are topped with a mound of garlicky shrimp, smoky ham and caramelized peppers, on a rich flavorful bed of cheesy grits.