Pot Roast. Pot roast is a braised beef dish made by browning a roast-sized piece of beef before slow cooking the meat in a covered dish, sometimes with vegetables, in or over liquid. Pot roasts typically use the tougher cuts of beef—a chuck roast or shoulder roast—which have the most flavor. For pot roasts, and other slow cooked tough meats, fat is your friend!
Thanks to Turo for sponsoring this video! Chuck roast is the key to this pot roast recipe. The meat has wonderful marbling that helps it get tender and melt-in-your-mouth delicious after cooking. You can cook Pot Roast using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pot Roast
- Prepare 3-4 lb of boneless chuck roast, trimmed.
- Prepare 2 of large yellow onions; large dice.
- Prepare 3 stalks of celery; large dice.
- You need 3 of carrots; about 1/4" inch thick.
- Prepare 2 of large Idaho potatoes; peeled & large dice.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic; creamed.
- Prepare 4 C of beef stock.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 T of tomato paste.
- It’s 2 T of fresh rosemary; minced.
- You need 2 t of fresh thyme; minced.
- Prepare 1/4 C of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare as needed of kosher salt & black pepper.
- Prepare as needed of vegetable oil.
- It’s as needed of fresh parsley; minced.
Looking for recipes for pot roasts? Taste of Home has the best pot roast recipes from real cooks, featuring reviews, ratings, how-to videos and tips. Pot Roast – fall apart beef, tender flavour infused vegetables and potatoes smothered in a rich gravy. It's mouthwateringly good, yet simple to make, especially if you use a slow cooker.
Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Season roast with half the thyme and rosemary, salt, and pepper..
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Sear roast on all sides and remove to a plate..
- Add onions, carrots, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Cook until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds..
- Add tomato paste. Cook 1 minute..
- Add worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any brown bits remaining on the bottom of the pot. Cook until nearly dry..
- Return roast to pot. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Cover..
- Transfer to oven. Cook for 3-4 hours or until roast is tender..
- Garnish with parsley..
- Variations; Cola, roasted garlic, bouqet garni, canola oil, bacon fat, crushed pepper flakes, red potatoes, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, acorn squash, scallions, chives, leeks, red wine, beer, root beer, oregano, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, shallots, pearl onion, asparagus, fennel, dried onion soup mix, chile puree, mushrooms.
Pot roast is a classic comfort food and the ultimate way to feed a crowd. Simply add all the ingredients to a slow cooker or Crock Pot, and you'll have dinner ready when you get home from work. Classic Pot Roast is an easy comfort food that is an absolute favorite. A one pot meal made easy in Remember, I said that pot roast isn't a specific cut of meat and is more the method of how you cook. Pot roast is the perfect Sunday supper.