Pasta Fagioli. The BEST Pasta e Fagioli Soup! And yes, it's even better than Olive Garden's!. This Italian style soup is loaded with hearty ground beef, fresh vegetables, creamy beans, tender pasta and delicious herbs all in a rich and savory broth.
Add broth; bring to a boil. Add the beans, tomatoes, spinach and salt. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. You can cook Pasta Fagioli using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pasta Fagioli
- Prepare 5 tbsp of Olive oil.
- You need 5 clove of Garlic chopped.
- Prepare 1 stick of Celery chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of Carrot chopped.
- You need 1 tsp of Fresh rosemary chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of Dried basil.
- You need 3 tbsp of Dried oregano.
- You need 5 can of Crushed or diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 3 can of Chicken/veggie/beef stock.
- Prepare 1 bunch of Kale chopped.
- You need 3 can of Northern beans, or pinto or kidney rinsed.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Fresh parsley rough chopped.
- Prepare 1 lb of Hamburger.
- Prepare 1 box of Small pasta like ditalini.
Saute carrot, celery and onion until soft. Pasta Fagioli – an Italian Staple. Pasta e fagioli, or just pasta fagioli. I knew—and loved—this dish years before I knew how to spell it.
Pasta Fagioli instructions
- In a skillet with olive oil cook onion,garlic , celery, carrot, kale until they start to get tender kale takes a bit longer , set aside.
- Cook beef add salt pepper to taste maybe a bit of garlic, cook though make sure it's broken in tiny pieces (drain).
- In a stewing pot add stock, spices, tomatoes, veggies, beef bring to boil reduce heat simmer until beans and veggies are tender . Salt pepper to taste ..
- Cook pasta as directed… Rinse set aside.
- To serve put a scoop ( or how ever much you want ) of pasta in bowl then scoop your soup over. Garnish top with pinch of parsley and sprinkle (or so me I love cheese) of Parmesan drizzle top with olive oil . I like doing pasta separate I find that it soaks up all the broth..
- Note if you like it thicker less stock or add pasta to soup thinner add more stock. I mixed my broth I did half chicken half beef.
Growing up in New Jersey, pasta e fagioli is a staple on every red sauce place's menu, along with spaghetti and meatballs, lasagna, alfredo and cannolis. Pasta e Fagioli literally means pasta and beans. Traditionally it's made without meat since it was a peasant's dish and the Italian people usually had cheaper items on hand. A small pasta, cannellini beans, whole peeled tomatoes, carrots, a parmesan rind or grated parm, garlic, onions and kale or spinach, basil, possibly bay leaves and pasta. Wrap the thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf in a piece of cheesecloth and secure closed with kitchen twine.