PA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie. Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie – Traditional PA Dutch chicken pot pie. One pot old fashioned dinner with homemade noodles. This recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch chicken pot is one of our all-time favorite meals.
Add the chopped onion, celery seed, garlic powder, parsley, bouillon cubes and the chicken. Bring to a boil, cover with lid, and then turn down to simmer for about an hour, or until chicken can be. Pennsylvania Dutch Pot Pie can be easily made in large quantities, is a filling and budget friendly meal for small or large families, and reheats nicely the next day. You can cook PA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of PA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie
- Prepare 4 cups of Cooked Chicken -about.
- Prepare 8 of large potatoes.
- Prepare 2 lbs of baby carrots.
- You need 1 jar of chicken soup base.
- You need 2 bags of potpie noodles.
- You need 2 tablespoons of cornstarch/1 cup cold water.
If you don't have chicken handy or prefer a different meat, simply use cubed beef or a small bone-in ham end or ham hock to make the stock for cooking the pot pie. Amish Chicken Pot Pie is a staple in the Pennsylvania Dutch community. Brothy and full of flavor, the homemade noodles add texture and body to this stew. Stir in the stock, chicken, noodles and thyme, then reduce the heat to low.
PA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie instructions
- In large stockpot start with 12 cups of water. Add soup base until fully dissolved..
- Once broth is to a simmer add precooked chicken, carrots and potatoes. NOTE – peel and cut potatoes into quarters. Add salt and pepper to taste. I usually add about a tbsp of both..
- Simmer covered on low for 1/2 hour or until carrots and potatoes are fork tender..
- Mix cornstarch with COLD water and mix into soup. Bring back to a simmer..
- Slowly add noodles. I usually drop 2-4 at a time in different spots so they don't clump together. Stir frequently..
- After all noodles have been added simmer for 10 minutes..
- Turn off heat and let rest for 1/2 hour. During this time it will thicken and the flavor will grow..
- Serve as you would soup or stew!.
Season the pot pie with salt and. The "pot pie," or noodles, are strained and served with a sprinkle of cidar vinegar (sometimes the pot pie, or noodles, are placed on top of the mashed potatoes). It's less of a "stew." than this. Having not grown up in PA, my idea of chicken pot pie has always been those little "pies" filled with chicken, veggies and gravy. You can get them frozen in a box or homemade from some restaurants.