Shepherd's pie. .with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton.
That saucy, deeply flavourful filling, that creamy potato topping, and that awesome golden cheese crust.… While Shepherd's Pie is. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. You can cook Shepherd's pie using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's pie
- It’s of For Mashed Potatoes (Leftover mashed potatoes can be used too):.
- You need 2 of large Potatoes.
- Prepare 10 g of Butter.
- Prepare 120 ml of Milk.
- Prepare of LAMB FILLING.
- Prepare 300 g of Ground lamb/mutton.
- You need 1 of Onions.
- Prepare 6 of Mushrooms.
- It’s 1 of Carrots.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of Flour.
- You need 240 ml of Broth.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of Thyme.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Parsley.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Find the best recipes for the classic shepherd's pie. Learn how to make it with ground beef, turkey, chicken, and lamb recipes.
Shepherd's pie instructions
- Cook potatoes in their skins until soft. Peel and mash up with the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside..
- Preheat ove to 200°C..
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan and saute onions until soft. Add in mushrooms and continue to cook until their juices start coming out (about 5-10 minutes)..
- Add carrots and meat. Cook until the meat is browned..
- Sprinkle in the flour. Mix until the sauce thickens a little..
- Add broth, thyme and parsley and bring to a boil..
- Turn to low, and cook until most liquid is gone and the mixture is thick..
- Put lamb and vegetable filling in an oven dish and spread with mash potatoes on top..
- Bake 20-30 minutes until the pie is bubbling and potatoes are a little browned..
- Dish out and enjoy!.
Try the classic shepherd's pie recipe or mix it up with a veggie shepherd's pie with lentils, or add parsnips to your mash like Nigel Slater. Plunge your spoon into a shepherd's pie with creamy mash and flavourful lamb mince. We've got some lovely twists on shepherd's pie on the site, but we were missing a definitive version of this. We seem to eat for comfort during the holidays.but comfort foods aren't necessarily healthy. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef.