Rabbit Stew. Rabbit is braised in a red wine gravy flavored with bacon, shallots, currant jelly, and herbs in this German stew. Layer onion, potatoes, and carrots in bottom of a crock pot. If you can find fresh rabbit, have your butcher piece it out for you.
Then remove it later and pick off the meat. This rabbit stew is a savory combination of cut up rabbit, carrots, and potatoes. Red wine, along with a variety of aromatic vegetables, gives this stew a rich flavor. You can cook Rabbit Stew using 12 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Rabbit Stew
- Prepare of wild game.
- You need 2 1/2 medium of rabbits- cut up.
- You need 1 lb of bacon or ground meat(your choice).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of oil.
- Prepare 1 large of onion.
- It’s 2 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of dried celery.
- It’s 1 can of rotel tomatoes.
- It’s 4 medium of potatoes – cut up.
- You need 1/4 cup of flour.
- You need 3 cup of beef bouillion/broth.
- It’s 3 cup of chicken bouillion/ broth.
This recipe calls for a homemade seasoned salt, which is a combination of herbs such as thyme, marjoram, and dill weed as well as garlic and celery salt, onion powder, paprika. Rabbit is cheaper and more environmentally friendly to produce than other types of meat, most of all beef. Chop the onion and garlic finely. Make a bouquet garni by tying together the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with string.
Rabbit Stew step by step
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large heavy pot on stove ..
- Coat all the rabbit well with a good season- salt. I use "slap ya mama"..
- Brown your rabbit pieces & then remove them to a waiting plate.
- now wilt the onions and garlic in the same pot you browned the rabbit in.
- cut up bacon in to pieces and cook with the onion and garlic..
- Dump in 1/4 cup of flour and let the flour cook about 5 minutes. stirring constantly.
- Now add both beef & chicken broths & the rotel tomatoes..
- Replace rabbit pieces to the pot turn stove to low and cover..
- Let that cook for several hours checking every so often to see if you need to add a little water..
- One hour before you are ready to serve add the potatoes. you may need to add some water now and salt because the potatoes will soak a lot ..
- Serve over rice.
Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole. In the same pan, fry garlic, onion and the bouquet garni. This restores more hunger than any other food type in the game except cake, but has less saturation than a golden carrot or a steak. Eating rabbit stew turns it into an empty bowl, similar to mushroom stew and beetroot soup. Heat to boiling, then stir in jelly, peppercorns, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme.