Russian Borsht Stew. The Russian Borscht Soup was a huge hit as a starter so much so I was requested to send out the recipe! dianeInFv. This is a good basic recipe for Borscht soup. I like adding beef, like stew beef, when I make it, and let it simmer until it's fork tender.
Add the cubed lamb, and sear until well browned. Red cabbage and beets are slowly stewed with sauteed onions, caraway seeds, potatoes, carrots, celery, and dill weed. The Ukrainian version of this soup is also popular in Russian cuisine. You can have Russian Borsht Stew using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Russian Borsht Stew
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of beef stew chunks.
- Prepare 1 cup of course chopped beet.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of thinly sliced potato.
- Prepare 1 cup of sliced onion.
- Prepare 1 each of chopped celery stock.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 3 each of crushed garlic cloves.
- It’s 1 cup of thin sliced carrots.
- You need 1 tsp of chicken bouillon.
- You need 1 cup of course chopped green cabbage.
- Prepare 4 oz of canned chopped tomato.
- Prepare 4 cup of filtered water.
- You need 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sour cream per serving.
However, there are many regional variations of this dish in Russia. According to Wikipedia, the following are regional Russian variations of this soup: Moscow Borscht: Contains pieces of beef, ham and Vienna sausages; Siberian Borscht: With meatballs Contrary to popular belief, Russians don't spell their beetroot soup borscht (that's a Yiddish spelling) and it's really not a Russian invention (the Ukrainians claim it as theirs). Nor are beets the predominant ingredient in Russian borshch. That's probably why this stew-like soup is orange from the carrots and tomato paste, not red.
Russian Borsht Stew instructions
- In large stew pot: melt butter and then add onions, garlic, and beef. Heat on med-high until outside of beef is browned..
- Remove beef from pot and chop into bite-sized chunks. Return to pot and add potatoes, beets, carrots, celery, canned tomato, and water to pot. Cover and simmer for 1 hr or until beef is tender..
- Add salt and pepper as necessary. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream..
- Vegetarian – use vegetable stock and no beef. Still suuuper tasty!.
- Crock pot – brown beef and then add all ingredients to crock pot. Cook in crock pot for 4-6 hrs. For those with a day job, this recipe is awesome to just throw all ingredients in the crock pot and set on low in the morning. It will be perfect by the evening and the longer in the pot the better the flavors. Not really necessary to brown the beef but it does add another layer of flavor..
This cabbage soup is a staple in every Russian household, it's what I grew up eating, and it's one of the first recipes that people learn how to make. It was definitely one of the very first recipes that I learned. Borscht is a traditional Russian and Polish soup made with beets and cabbage simmered in a rich broth. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream to add a little decadence. Grate beets on the large grater holes (the food processor works amazingly well).