Brown stew chicken Jamaican style. Brown Stew Chicken is a classic Jamaican stew made with chicken, vegetables and a heavy amount of aromatic spices. The end result is tender chicken, flavorful and rich brown stew gravy and a wonderfully scented kitchen. Season chicken with salt, black pepper, sugar, garlic and scallion (green onion).
I mean here in the South, everyone claims to have the best and authentic fried chicken recipe and buttermilk biscuits. After viewing so many comments about Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken I can see that same passion. Who else loves Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken?! You can cook Brown stew chicken Jamaican style using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Brown stew chicken Jamaican style
- You need 3 lb of Chicken Parts.
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of All purpose seasoning.
- It’s 1 of salt to taste.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Black pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of seasoning salt.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of regular white distilled Vinegar.
- You need 2 cup of water.
- It’s 4 stalk of fresh thyme.
- You need 1 of Scotch Bonnet pepper/ can use cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 3 clove of Garlic.
- Prepare 2 stalk of scallion chopped.
- It’s 1 of Onion chopped.
- You need 1 large of Ripe Tomato chopped.
- You need 2 of Pimento seed / all spice.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Vegetable oil.
This is one of those foods that the entire family will enjoy. My Brown Stew Chicken is yummy beyond words because it is so well seasoned. You can serve it with almost any side dish. Traditionally, it would be served with Rice and Peas and a simple salad.
Brown stew chicken Jamaican style step by step
- Rinse chicken in in finger then fresh water and pat dry the excessive water.
- Add all the dry season and spice to chicken. You can marinate or cook right away.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pot medium heat.
- Add chicken piece into the pot and fry until golden brown on both side, removing each cook chicken in a container and set aside, add remaining chicken to brown.
- After finish browning the chicken, pure the excess oil from the pot, leaving just about a teaspoon.
- Add water to the pot and deglaze, add the chicken, scallions, onion, garlic, hot peppers and tomatoes to the pot and simmer to a gravy consistency..
Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken is a classic Jamaican stew dish that is made with chicken, vegetables such as red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and some aromatic spices that makes this dish irresistible. The end result of this combination is soft and tender chicken in a rich brown stew gravy and a wonderfully scented kitchen. Stewed chicken is a favourite amongst English speaking Caribbean islands. It is traditionally eaten with rice and peas (or peas and rice). Though times are changing and with cultural trends taking a different direction, don't be surprised if the masses pair this with plantains.