Barley Stew w/Smoked Chicken Sausage. I know a lot of french-type stews have sausage, lentils and barley. I couldn't find andouille so I made do with lower-fat turkey sausage. My best friend, a very picky eater raved over this and said it was the best stew she'd ever eaten.
This Chicken and Sausage stew has a lot of ingredients but they are mostly fresh vegetables. After the slicing up of the vegetables everything cooks together for a hearty full flavored broth based chicken stew. It's delicious on pasta, rice or potatos or served in bowls with crusty bread for dipp. You can have Barley Stew w/Smoked Chicken Sausage using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Barley Stew w/Smoked Chicken Sausage
- You need 1 cup of Barley.
- You need 1 large of chicken, roasted garlic, & gruyere cheese smoked sausage (I used Aidells).
- Prepare 2 of 18.5 oz cans of vegetable soup (I used Progresso Vegetable Classics – Garden Vegetable).
- You need 1 pinch of sea salt to taste.
- It’s 1 pinch of ground black pepper to taste.
- You need 1 tsp of cayenne pepper to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground mustard.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
Stir in carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and celery into the Dutch oven. Add the barley, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, wine, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add sliced sausage to the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Barley Stew w/Smoked Chicken Sausage instructions
- Rinse barley under cold water..
- Place rinsed barley in a 3 quart pot with 4 cups of cold water, a splash of EVOO, the bay leaf, and a pinch of sea salt..
- Cover & bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to medium heat. Watch to make sure it doesn't boil over. Cook for 30 mins, no peeking..
- While the barley is cooking, cut the sausage into 1/4 inch pieces..
- Remove the barley from the heat and stir, making sure to gently scrape the bottom. Most of the water should be gone. If not, drain off most of what's left, but don't trip if there is still a small amount in the bottom of the pan..
- Add 2 cans of the vegetable soup, cut sausage, sea salt, ground black pepper, ground mustard, & cayenne pepper. Stir to combine..
- Place back on high heat and stir until it starts to bubble. Immediately reduce heat to medium, cover again, and cook for another 15 mins..
- Take off of heat, stir, put in a bowl and serve with a nice piece of crusty bread with butter or pesto… Enjoy!.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until the sausage is evenly brown. In a slow cooker, mix the sausage mixture, chicken broth, carrot, spinach, and barley. Remove from pan and set aside. Add remaining butter; saute barley, vegetables and garlic until barley is lightly browned. Add the barley and let it cook with the veggies for a minute, stirring constantly.